A Patient Sitter assists nursing employees with monitoring assigned patients under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse. The Patient Sitter provides constant observation to patients who may be in danger of harming themselves or acting in an unsafe manor. The patient sitter functions as an integral part of the patient care team as evidenced by assuring an environment of patient safety under the supervision of the licensed nurse. The patient sitter provides a safe environment for the patient requiring one to one observation. Is accountable for own action in performing sitter duties as trained. There are no clinical skills associated with this position.
1. Provide continuous observation to assigned patients. Remains alert and never leaves patient alone.
2. Promote a safe, caring environment.
3. Documents/communicates patient’s behavior on appropriate flow sheets/worksheets.
4. Maintains patient confidentiality and privacy. Follows CVPH confidentiality policy.
5. Reports all changes in patient’s condition to supervising nursing staff.
6. Assist patient in maintaining safety, comfort, and dignity.
7. Maintain a clean and safe environment.
8. Maintains appropriate personal boundaries – do not share personal information.
9. Under the direction of RN may engage patient in diversion activities.
10. Uses communication devices appropriately.
11. Other duties as assigned.
1. High school graduate or equivalent work experience, including ability to read, write, and comprehend medical terminiology. 2. Previous experience as a nurse aide or mental health technicial preferred. 3. Meets requirements of pre-employment screening and physical.