- With regard to the tasks listed below, the employee demonstrates proficiency and competence, performs clinical and proficiency tests under the direct supervision of a NYSDOH qualified Technologist, Supervisor or Director, performs quality control procedures as required, evaluates QC results before proceeding with clinical testing, records all QC results and takes necessary corrective action.
- BB1 Performs Patient ABO and Rh typing, including weak D testing.
- BB2 Demonstrates the ability to test for, detect and identify unexpected antibodies, including the use of elution and absorption techniques.
- BB3 Demonstrates the ability to correctly perform compatibility testing.
- BB4 Demonstrates the ability to correctly perform direct antiglobulin testing
- BB5 Demonstrates the ability to perform direct and indirect patient and unit phenotyping.
- BB6 Demonstrates the ability to perform fetal maternal blood screens and Kleihauer Betke stains
- BB7 Demonstrates the ability to perform microscopic evaluations (Nageotte, KB stains) by viewing the specimen through the microscope and recording results
- BB9 Demonstrates the ability to thaw and process FFP.
- BB10 Demonstrates the ability to pool and process cryoprecipitate.
- BB11 Demonstrates the ability to issue blood components properly, either routinely or emergently.
- BB12 Demonstrates the ability to perform post-issue compatibility testing.
- BB17 Demonstrates the ability to perform quantitative and qualitative RPR testing.
- BB19 Demonstrates the knowledge of storage and shipping requirements of blood products.
- CH1 Demonstrates proficiency in utilizing the chemistry analyzers.
- CH2 Demonstrates proficiency in utilizing the immunochemistry analyzers
- CH3 Demonstrates proficiency in utilizing the hematology automated cell counters.
- CH4 Demonstrates proficiency in utilizing the coagulation analyzers.
- CH5 Demonstrates proficiency in utilizing the blood gas analyzers.
- CH6 Demonstrates proficiency in utilizing the diagnostic hepatitis instrumentation.
- CH8 Demonstrates proficiency in performing manual cell counting procedures
- CH12 Demonstrates proficiency in performing LAP fixation, staining and interpretation.
- CH14 Demonstrates proficiency in utilizing the osmometer.
- CH16 Demonstrates proficiency in preparing and performing peripheral smear differentials.
- CH17 Demonstrates proficiency in preparing and reporting erythrocyte sedimentation rates.
- CH18 Demonstrates proficiency in performing d-dimer testing
- CH19 Demonstrates proficiency in utilizing the automated urine dipstick reader.
- CH20 Demonstrates proficiency in performing microscopic examinations of urinary sediment.
- CH21 Demonstrates proficiency in performing manual testing procedures in urinalysis (fecal fat, occult blood, fecal leukocytes, etc).
- CH26 Demonstrates proficiency in utilizing the airfuge and body fluid centrifuge.
- GEN12 Demonstrates proficiency in performing BAT testing.
- GEN16 Acts as a resource for the MLT staff in resolving technical, quality control and instrumentation problems.
- MIC1 Receives, processes (inoculates, grinds, centrifuges, incubates) clinical samples for culture choosing the correct media and incubation conditions for each sample type.
- MIC2 Prepares, stains, reads and reports Gram stained slides. Demonstrates proficiency with designated competency slides.
- MIC5 Demonstrates proficiency in rapid antigen and antibody testing for infectious disease agents
- MIC17 Demonstrates proficiency in direct microscopic preparations and examinations, including KOH and Wet Preps
2. Performs all assigned routine scheduled equipment maintenance.
- GEN1 Completes all assigned routine scheduled maintenance.
- GEN3 Follows troubleshooting procedures when equipment malfunctions
3. Collection of patient specimens.
- BB20 Demonstrates the knowledge of Blood Bank specimen requirements and rejects specimens when applicable.
- CH22 Demonstrates proficiency in assisting with bone marrow collections
- GEN4 Demonstrates proficiency in all phlebotomy procedures.
- GEN13 Demonstrates proficiency in performing urine drug screen collections.
- GEN14 Demonstrates proficiency in printing a.m. collection lists and labels, and coordinating a.m. phlebotomy rounds.
- MIC16 Demonstrates proficiency in assisting with gastric biopsy collection
4. Performs proficiency testing
- GEN7 Performs satisfactorily on proficiency testing.
- GEN8 Completes follow up as needed on incorrect proficiency test results.
- GEN9 Completes all pre- and post-analytical steps in proficiency testing.
5. Participates in Quality Assurance.
- BB21 Has read and understands the Quality Plan. Demonstrates a role in overall quality assurance.
- CH25 Demonstrates proficiency in preparing slides and reports for pathology review.
- GEN11 Knows the NYSDOH infectious disease reporting requirements
6. Participates in training activities.
- GEN6 Demonstrates the ability to train students and new employees as assigned
- BB27 Maintains inventory of reagents and blood products.
- GEN15 Other duties as assigned.
- GEN17 Assumes assigned charge duties in the absence of the Supervisor, supervising technical personnel and reporting of findings, performing tests requiring special scientific skills and, in the absence of the Director of Supervisor, is responsible for the proper performance of all laboratory procedures.