The Gastroenterology Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner shall assist and supplement the Gastroenterologist Physician staff by rounding on inpatients to assess, diagnose, and treat patients as enabled by their training and experience under the supervision and support of the Gastroenterologist Physician. These responsibilities will include caring for Gastroenterology inpatients, responding to calls from the nursing staff, assessing changes in condition, responding to changes in condition, ordering tests and images, interpreting tests and images, and ordering medications. The Gastroenterology Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner will also prepare discharges of patients and will prepare appropriate prescriptions, prepare discharge summaries, arrange follow up appointments and educate patients and families.
1. Evaluates patients to formulate a clinical impression / diagnosis / treatment plan, based upon the following parameters::
• Medical history
• Physical examination
• Laboratory and x-ray data
• Other medical records
2. Collaborates with supervising physician as clinically appropriate.
3. Provide appropriate information to patients, families, and staff as necessary for implementing the plan of care.
4. Collaborates with physicians, nurses, registered dieticians, and others as needed and appropriate.
5. Maintains and completes medical records in a timely fashion.
6. Participate in requested committees for department / hospital.
7. Determine appropriateness of discharge home, admission to acute care, or admission to observation according.
8. Determine needs for consultations from other subspecialties.
9. Develop and document appropriate discharge plans. This will include preparing discharge summaries, medical prescriptions, follow up appointments, education of patients and patient families, and communication with patient’s primary care physician and nursing staff.
10. Seek help, advice or bedside assistance from the Attending Physician as appropriate based upon the patients clinical circumstances and the Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioners training and experience.
11. Participate in interdisciplinary if requested.
12. Work with supervising physicians to assure that all verbal and written orders of the Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner are signed by the end of each work shift.
13. Participate in departmental / hospital wide quality improvement projects.
14. Demonstrate a commitment to continued growth through ongoing education.
15. Demonstrate knowledge of the Scope of Practice for Physician Assistants or Nurse Practitioners in New York State: CVPH Medical Staff bylaws; and Standards of Medical Practice.
16. Regularly attend hospitalist program meetings.
17. Other duties as assigned.