Operational Organization and Productivity
- Oversees the daily operations of support staff in Central Processing, Phlebotomy, Donor and Transfusion Services. Manages daily scheduling, competency assessment, training, and continuing education for employees Evaluates employee performance and provides counseling and disciplinary action when necessary. Reviews patients’ results and computer entry. Manages donor deferrals and notification of ineligible donors.
- Communicates effectively with managers and other section supervisors to develop and prioritize departmental goals. Attends meetings within the hospital, including Laboratory Quality and Supervisor Meetings, related to such matters as programs, policies, activities and services provided by the hospital that may impact the operations of the department and hospital. Facilitates Transfusion Committee meetings which reviews transfusion practices, evaluates adverse transfusion events, and monitors the adequacy of the blood supply.
- Collaborates with all clients to ensure optimal delivery of Transfusion and Donor Services.
Quality, Performance Improvement and Safety
- Oversees a quality assurance program that monitors operational, clinical, and financial performance across all aspects of Transfusion and Donor Services. Ensures staff comply with organizational safety policies and procedures including wearing of appropriate PPE and use of engineering controls.
- Oversees the Transfusion and Donor quality plan and participates in departmental and hospital wide quality improvement and quality assurance plans.
- Oversees accreditation, regulatory, quality control, equipment maintenance, and proficiency testing for Donor and Transfusion Services.
Personnel Management, Collaboration & Team Development
- Responsible for developing training, education and competency programs as well as supervise the training of new employees, assess competency, provide evaluations and continuing education for Blood Bank Technologists, Technicians, Laboratory Aids, Donor Phlebotomists, and Registered Nurses.
- Participates in a number of inter and intra-departmental committees. These committees are designed to foster collaboratory efforts that improve patient services across the continuum of care.
- Participates in the development and implementation of programs designed to foster team and individual professional development, critical thinking and problem solving skills.
Regulatory Agency & Corporate Compliance
- Responsible for developing, writing, implementing, updating and ensuring employee compliance with policies and procedures in accordance with the Joint Commission, College of American Pathologists, New York State Department of Health, CLIA, CMS, AABB, FDA & OSHA guidelines.
- Works with the Director to ensure Corporate Compliance by periodically assessing the practices and processes with regard to billing and testing practices.
Strategic Direction and Planning
- Helps determine appropriate selection of emerging technologies and information systems to assure hospital physician alignment and optimizes financial performance while meeting benchmark and quality service outcomes. Develops, implements, monitors and assesses of quality assurance activities for Transfusion and Donor Services. Ensures the Transfusion and Donor Services meets or surpasses goals including Employee and Patient Satisfaction, STAT TAT and Budget cost per unit.
- Responsible for the development, growth, and integration of Transfusion and Donor services to meet the needs of the Medical Center. Supports a strategic plan that incorporates available resources, customer needs and growth initiatives. Supports and maintains active relationships with Quality, Finance and Nursing Service Departments in order to focus on inter-departmental projects and goals for both the short and long term.
- Ensures a system for compliance with benchmark standards. Helps to engage laboratory physician staff in growth opportunities that include outreach and budget development.
- Develops, manages and maintains professional contacts as it relates to Transfusion and Donor services and future development.
Growth of the Referral Base and Promotion in Primary and Secondary Service Areas
- Assists in establishing network relationships and outreach activities to meet the needs of established clients and attract business from prospective clients. Assess new technologies and expand test menu to meet the needs of our clients.
- Works in conjunction with public relations to increase donor collections, donor blood drives and the sale of blood products.
- Works in conjunction with the Rhode Island Blood center to increase the registration of potential bone marrow donors.
Financial Performance and Budgeting
- Helps develop strategies that increase market share and contribution margin. Monitors and controls operating costs within the budget. Develops annual operating and capital budgets, monitors these targets on a routine basis; justifies any sizeable variances.
Physician, Staff & Customer Satisfaction
- Helps the Laboratory Director oversee the appropriate analysis and response to surveys utilized by the organization to gather physician, staff and customer feedback. Assists to develop and implement initiatives designed to address and improve physician, staff and customer satisfaction.
- The transformational leader integrates all the employees and processes for efficiency, effectiveness, and engagement. Specifically all CVPH Managers:
- Assumes responsibility for definable projects
- Fiscally responsible for quality service
- Provides positive patient and/or employee experience (staff engagement/partnership)
- Increases in self and others professional and technical expertise and ability
Develops credibility and a positive reputation as a manager of people.
- “Employee will facilitate a culture that supports and empowers staff to be engaged in the decision-making process within their work environment and throughout the organization.”