The Student Nurse Extern participates in the planning and implementation of direct and indirect patient care under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse. The Student Nurse Extern will be partnered with an experienced nurse mentor, and continue to build on skills needed to integrate into the health care culture. In addition, Student Nurse Externs will be expected to experience hand-off of care, inter-professional communication, multidisciplinary rounds, basic documentation, safe administration of medication and other specific roles and responsibilities of a Registered Nurse.
This program is available to SUNY Plattsburgh and Clinton Community College senior nursing students.
1. Demonstrates integrity, compassion and respect when working with patients, families, visitors and staff.
2. Demonstrates a commitment to patients, families and staff by meeting the University of Vermont Champlain Valley Physicians Hospital time and attendance policy and departmental standards.
3. Protects the privacy and confidentiality of patients, families, and staff.
4. Promotes diversity and respects coworkers, patients and their families regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religious belief, age and or disability.
5. Delivers direct care to patients with various medical problems.
6. Consistently observes and reports all pertinent symptoms, reactions and progress of patients to the nurse mentor.
7. Personal care, including toileting, bathing, mouth care and ambulation.
8. Answers call lights
9. Properly positions and turns patient.
10. Ensures all safety alarms are on patient.
11. Assists with feeding of patients
12. Seeks advice and assistance in problem solving prioritizing from the Registered Nurse mentor.
13. Performs other duties as delegated by Registered Nurse Mentor and within scope of practice
14. Provides proper skin care
15. Takes vital signs
16. Performs routine specimen collection including urine, sputum, feces, bodlily drainage, specimen collect and finger sticks.
17. Empties, tubes and drains.
18. Participates in meeting the education needs of a patient with the Registered Nurse.
1. Completed 1st year of A.A.S. Nursing Program or Completed 3rd year of BSN Program
2. GPA 3.0 or higher, verified by submission of unofficial transcript
3. Letter of reference from School