Performs clinical and proficiency quality control proficiency tests under the direct supervision of a NYSDOH qualified Technologist, Supervisor or Director.
- Demonstrates the ability to load and operate the tissue processors.
- Orients and embeds tissue samples according to department protocol.
- Performs microtomy of paraffin blocks to produce slides of single cell thickness without wrinkles and folds.
- Demonstrates the ability to operate the automatic stainer for routine and special protocols.
- Demonstrates the ability to perform routine special stains.
- Demonstrates the ability to perform immunohistochemistry.
- Demonstrates knowledge of decalcification and tissue softening techniques.
- Demonstrates use of cryostat to produce frozen section slides of acceptable quality.
- Demonstrates the ability to troubleshoot the various staining methodologies.
- Demonstrates knowledge of specimen handling for kidney biopsies and muscle biopsies.
- Demonstrates knowledge of specimen handling for chromosome analysis and flow cytometry.
- Demonstrates proficiency in processing gynecologic and non-gynecologic cytology specimens.
Performs assigned routine equipment maintenance.
- Completes all assigned routine schedule maintenance.
- Performs daily temperature checks and records information.
- Follows troubleshooting procedures when equipment malfunctions.
- Reviews all maintenance record keeping documents and recommends corrective action when necessary.
Collection of patient specimens.
- Demonstrates knowledge of surgical pathology and cytology specimen collection and fixation requirements and rejects specimens when applicable.
- Provides appropriate materials and aids in the collection and transport of patient specimens for testing.
- Evaluates and solves problems related to collection and processing of biological specimens for analysis.
Performs proficiency testing.
- Performs satisfactorily on external quality improvement submissions.
- Completes follow up as needed on external quality improvement results.
Participates in Quality Assurance.
- Evaluates QC results before proceeding with clinical testing.
- Records QC results on the provided record keeping forms.
- Takes corrective action for QC failure and records the event on the provided record keeping forms.
- Recognizes opportunities for process improvement and offers appropriate suggestions for improvements.
- Reviews accreditation checklists. Makes recommendations to supervisor and writes supporting policies and procedures.
- Participates in the evaluation of new techniques and procedures in the laboratory.
- Participates in the introduction, investigation and implementation of new procedures and in the evaluation of new instruments.
- Evaluates statistical data, troubleshoots problems and understands validation protocols.
- Differentiates and resolves technical, instrument, physiologic causes of problems or unexpected test results.
Participates in training activities.
- Conducts competency assessments for staff histology technicians. Maintains required documentation as required by manager.
- Participates in the evaluation of the effectiveness of laboratory educational programs.
- Demonstrates the ability to train students and new employees as assigned.
- Coordinates assignments in accordance with the department schedule. Maintains a timely workflow.
- Participates in establishing technical and administrative procedures.
- Assumes assigned charge duties in the absence of the manager, to include giving direction and guidance to technical and support personnel in workflow and troubleshooting.
- Is responsible for maintaining assigned inventory.
Other duties as assigned.